Translate

Mission & History

Notre Dame Academy's philosophy of education is built on the belief that education should prepare students for their roles as women in the world. We wish to provide our students with the opportunity to become more aware of what is happening in their lives and to assume responsibility for themselves and their community. In order to learn to make responsible choices, Notre Dame students have the freedom to learn in a school dedicated to high academic standards, and to involve themselves in the community, both utilizing its resources and serving its people.


CAMPUS HISTORY

1950: SISTERS ASKED TO OPEN AN ACADEMY FOR GIRLS

Bishop Wright invited the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur to establish an Academy in Worcester. The congregation was already familiar with the city, having established St. John's Elementary School and Ascension High School in the late 1800s.

1951: NDA WORCESTER ESTABLISHED

The Sisters of Notre Dame took over the Salisbury Street property known as the Ellis Estate named after its last owner, Theodore Ellis, publisher of The Worcester Telegram.

1953: GROUND BREAKING CEREMONY HELD

In 1953, work begins on the new academic building.

1955: BUILDING COMPLETED

In 1955, the academic building is completed and the first class graduates. Before the academic building was completed, classes were held in the convent, a 1914 residence known as Knollwood named for one of the estate's previous owners, Lucius James Knowles.

1990: CAMPUS EXPANDED

In 1990, NDA's state of the art athletic complex opened. Today NDA participates in 13 sports and has won eight state championship titles.

1993: MULTI-MEDIA LIBRARY OPENED

In 1993, the Academy opened library and media center in honor of former principal, Sr. Justina Daley.

2009: ACADEMIC BUILDING WIRED AND RENOVATED

In 2009, the Academy completed the expansion of the academic building, including the construction of a new music room, art gallery, and student center. Classrooms and science laboratories were completely updated.

2011: HERITAGE CHAPEL COMPLETED

In 2011, the Heritage Chapel opened. The stained glass window is from Ascension Church. It was donated by Notre Dame Alumnae to honor Monsignor Griffin, who invited the Sisters of Notre Dame to Worcester in 1872.

2014: NDA CONNECTED WORLDWIDE

Former Carriage House

In 2014, renovations of the former carriage house located at 425B Salisbury Street were completed. This new World Language & Communication Center was dedicated and renamed "The Gage House". Students combine technology and their advanced language skills to communicate globally with other Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur schools.